My people 2015

My people 2015

Sunday, August 24, 2008

A goal, a race, a leg & a broken heart


This is a story about my day on Saturday the 23rd. I guess I better go back farther than that. For those that don't know me well, I am not athletic in any way, shape, or form. I never have been, never will be. Well, a few years ago I started running, extremely short distances at first (like down the street). I have run on and off for the past few years and I love it. I have only run a few 5k races and decided to take a big leap and do a half marathon. I started training in March for the Hobble Creek Half. Now mind you I have been running steady since last spring, except those winter days of 5 degrees outside. I'm not that dedicated. My good friend Michelle & I both signed up for the half and really started working on our distance in May. Well, about 6 weeks ago we about doubled our distance and I got really bad shin splints. If you have never had them, be glad. They are so bad. I went to a doctor and he told me to stay off them for at least a month. I told him to keep dreaming and asked what other options I had to which the answer was "None". I took two weeks off and then started back again. They hurt but it was bearable. Then I went on a practice run one week prior. I rode up the canyon with some friends in the ward that were running it also. I stayed with them for the first mile and they took off. I am happy with a 9 minute mile, they are 7 minute milers. I got to about 8.5 and died. My leg hurt so bad. I had my phone with me and was calling home when an old friend stopped and took me home. Thats when the dream died. I was so upset, not to mention not able to move for 2 days. I still had a small hope, but not much. Needless to say, I wasn't able to run the race, and yes there were tears involved. I was brokenhearted. For some, running that far is insane, for me, it is the only active thing I thought I could do. I did put on my clothes and butt in line to get my shirt, because they only give them to those who actually finish the race. Don't turn me in!! Next year I am so running that race. Just goes to show you that life happens and you just have to move on. Lesson learned!!

1 comment:

Ableggi said...

I am so sad for you! I know how much you wanted to run this and hard you trained...keep it up...next year you'll do it!! I only wish I had half the energy you do!! I would make it two feet and collapse!!