My people 2015

My people 2015

Friday, May 15, 2009

Seeing the light at the end of the tunnel



A lot can happen in 5 months. You can go from totally content with life having not a lot of worries or what at the time are worries - to over night having your world turned upside down. My world turned upside down in January. It's amazing how one little phone call can do that. We were told that day that if action wasn't taken quickly and aggressively that my mom wouldn't be here in six months. Now five months, six chemo treatments, days and days and days of her being sick, countless sleepless nights, many cute hats, & a lot less hair later she's pretty much done. She had her last treatment yesterday. It's been a heck of a week. She got the flu on Sunday and wasn't sure if they would let her do the treatment this week or not. She basically convinced herself to get better so that she could go get the chemo and get sick from it. How sad is it that you want chemo? If she couldn't have done it this week, it would have been next week - therefore making her sick for Danny's wedding the following week. Prayers were answered and she walked out of that room for the last time. The doctor, whom we really liked, asked if I had any questions after she was done being checked. My response was "I really like you, but I don't want to ever see you again." He said "I get that a lot." I have learned a lot over the last several months. The most important being - don't take loved ones for granted. I love my husband and my kids more than anything. I have always appreciated my parents. I have always gotten along with my brothers. But the thought of one of them not being here has been a huge eye opener for me. I now talk to my brothers much more often and the daily conversations with my parents are always ended with "I love you." I know it sounds a little sappy now but you just don't know how your life can change. My mom is my hero. I think she surprised even herself by making it through. She is so amazing, strong and faithful. She has gotten everything done for the wedding, made a baby quilt for a grandbaby coming any day now, and kept working when she can. And my dad... well, he puts Edward to shame. He has taken such good care of her. We still have surgery to get through. Probably the first week in June. And radiation after but there is a light at the end of the tunnel (which was uphill, covered in 5 feet of snow, and blocked by brick wall after brick wall). I thank all of my friends and family for being there for me, making me smile and helping get my mom through this. I have had so many kind acts done for me and I will always remember them. My cute husband has let me cry more than I probably should have & taken time off work so that I could go be with mom, and my kids are always concerned and give me hugs when I need them. I am so blessed. Love you mom - You did it!!!

6 comments:

Kath said...

I am so glad - what a nightmare this has been for all of you. Good news is definitely in order! I will keep praying for your sweet Mom. I adore her. Love ya.

Danielle Thompson said...

It's amazing what we can get through... glad you are over this part. I'm sure it has been a long 5 months. Thank goodness for faith and prayers!

Katy said...

I am so happy for you guys! It is a hard thing for everyone. I am so happy there is a light at the end of the tunnel for you! Please let me know if there is ever anything I can do for you.

Kellie said...

What a great post...Yea for light at the end of the tunnel. I am so proud of her too, and the amazing strength that she has. However I don't think it could have gone as good if she didn't have your shoulder to cry on. You are her best friend and the person that she leaned on. I am so grateful for the two of you.

Magic Marker said...

She is amazing and you are two Nickie. You've been strong and brave through this as well. It's so hard to watch someone you love suffer and feel so helpless, but you and your family have been so strong. I'm so glad that there is light at the end of the tunnel now:)

brunger bunch said...

That is such a great post!! Your mom is absolutely beautiful! What an amazing experience you and you family have been through. We are still thinking and praying for the light at the end!!