My people 2015

My people 2015

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Having a moment

Natalie with her new earrings. She loves them and keeps touching them to make sure they are still there.

I've been struggling with something for the last week or so and I figured if I vented I might feel better. Natalie has had speech issues for quite a while now. I am not unaware of this. She is in a special preschool designed to help kids with these types of problems. She is also going to private speech sessions twice a week for an hour each time. With the prospect of kindergarten issues this year I have been getting a little worried. I thought that she would go to normal kindergarten this coming year and most likely have to do resource, which I'm fine with. I know we still have a ways to go but I also feel that if we keep moving forward she will catch up. Last week her preschool teacher called to set up an assessment and told me that as of now she would need to go to an intermediate kindergarten this coming year and then repeat regular kindergarten the following year. I admit - I was crushed. I feel like she has come so far and that testing her now, when there are still 6 months before kindergarten, is unfair. The intermediate kindergarten is at a different school, with different kids, & different everything. I know she still needs a little help but she knows all but 4 of the alphabet letters, can write her name, and her speech is getting better everyday. She has already had to be separated from neighborhood friends who all go to the same preschool, and who all have a play date everyweek that Nati can't go to due to speech sessions. It just is such a hard thing. I know that we, her parents, have the ultimate say. I just don't want to hold her back anymore than she has been already but don't want her to struggle to stay on track. She is my little princess and I just want to do the best thing for her because this will affect the rest of her life.

3 comments:

Danielle Thompson said...

Carter had some speech issues too. He dropped all the ending sounds of words...and random middle sounds too. We did small group sessions the year before kindergarten. He still went to regular kindergarten, but was pulled out a couple days a week for one-on-one speech therapy. He is in 3rd grade, and is finally almost done. He had to start speech again for his R's last year. Looks like he will finally be done this year. It can be hard, but in the end, all worth it. I would wait on the decision until the end of the school year ...or maybe see if you can register for both kindergarten's and decide during the summer. It is a frustrating thing, for you and your child. If you want to hear more about what we did with Carter, give me a call :) Hang in there!

Katy said...

I am sorry. I think the things our kids go through are harder on the mom. Sometimes you wish you could take matters into your own hands. Hang in there, it will all work out :)

Christy said...

Braden was recommended for the same program in Nebo. When he moved up here, Davis didn't have a program like that so we put him in Kindergarten. He couldn't even count to three. :) I was really nervous, but he did great in kindergarten. He is now in second grade, on grade level, and has been taken out of speech. He actually could have been taken out of speech at the beginning of first grade, but there were other personal issues. Hang in there. You will know what to do with YOUR child. You know her best. Every child is different.