My people 2015

My people 2015

Friday, February 20, 2009

Locks of Love

Wow, that's short.
Mom on the couch with Dustin, Chris & Danny on the floor.
Danny removing all traces of hair from Dustins head.
Danny, me & Natalie, Dustin and Chris
Chris, mom, Danny
Nati, Me, Dustin & Dad.

Not quite two weeks into her first chemo treatment my mom started to lose her hair. We knew this was coming and she & I went and got her a fabulous wig the weekend before. It thinned out for a couple of days and she made the huge decision to cut it all off. This was last Saturday. To say that it was hard is an understatement. She asked me to do it for her, which was hard and humbling at the same time. I started to cry and she was comforting me. It amazes me that someone going through so much can be strong enough for everyone around her. That afternoon Danny & Dustin decided to wack their hair off. Danny had his friends "bick" him and I buzzed Dustin and his son and my two boys that day. Monday afternoon I couldn't handle it anymore so I took my shears to my own hair. The look on Braxton's face was totally worth it. He thought I was nuts. My sister-in-law came over and held the mirror so that I could try to make it presentable in the back. I have never had my hair this short before, NEVER. I will never regret it either. Mom was so touched by the three of us cutting our hair. And to make it even better my brother Chris who lives in Idaho made a surprise visit for the weekend. He flew in today and came straight here to get his hair "bicked". Dustin decided to follow suit and my cute brothers are bald. We all went over to see mom and she was in shock that Chris flew here for her. She had her second treatment yesterday and the doctor checked and said that the tumor has started to shrink!!! And it took every ounce of control not to scream right there in the office. Miracles happen everyday. We're still in for a long haul but we are making progress. She is the most amazing, strong and faithful woman I know. And I have 8" less hair, which I am starting to like.

7 comments:

Katy said...

Your hair looks darling! That is so cute of you guys to do that. We keep your family in our prayers.

Kellie said...

Looks GREAT!!! I love your hair and I was very surprised when Dustin came home. Him and Chris were so proud that they had actually did it. What a great memory we will all have of this forever. I am sorry that I haven't talked to you in a couple days, life seems crazy. Thanks for being the supervisor of the "bicking":)

Danielle Thompson said...

Your family is awesome. Your mom is so lucky to have such support. Yay that the tumor is shrinking! I hope the good news just keeps coming.

Magic Marker said...

What a neat thing to do as a family to bond with your mom, and by the way I love your hair! It looks darling:)

Ableggi said...

You look amazing! I wish the best for all your family! And your mom is an amazing lady!

lovell said...

Your family is amazing! Your all so strong and brave.What a hard trial to have to face. Your an example to everyone around you. I will keep you in my prayers. I think your hair looks darling. Your a beautiful person inside and out. love ya

brunger bunch said...

Your hair is so cute..and how sweet that you all did that for your mom. I will have to tell you the story behind what started the short hair on me sometime...very similar. Funny thing though, I found I really like my hair short:)