My people 2015

My people 2015

Monday, May 10, 2010

A Mothers Day Weekend to Remember

It was a Mother's Day Weekend to Remember!!! Last year at this time my mom was sick from chemo and fighting for her life. So this year we celebrated her life. We went up to SL for the Susan G Komen Race for the Cure. I had heard how great it is and wanted mom to go and see all of the other survivors. We got there early enough, got my shirt and her shirt and walked around checking things out. It was amazing! The amount of people there were unbelievable. There were different groups together with different cute shirts on. Mom's shirt was bright pink with Survivor written up the side, so everytime we saw one of those shirts we had a moment. The race began (although with wall to wall people I don't know how anyone could run) and we walked the 5k route. We finished the walk back at the Gateway and shopped around there & went to see the Survivor Parade. Mom wasn't up for that this year but says she'll do it next year. There were all of these women, some bald with hats on, standing there together & we both couldn't help but cry. It was a sight I won't ever forget. We finished there and started home, with a stop at Hobby Lobby (my new favorite store). When I got home I noticed two hanging baskets on my porch. Jason had taken the kids shopping while I was gone & then riding motorcycles after. So I pulled up from an emotional but great morning and cried again. Braxton picked one out and Jason and Dylan picked out the other. I love them!! We went out to dinner that night. They made me breakfast in bed the next morning and totally catered to me all day. It was truly the best Mother's Day ever. I am so blessed to have such a great husband and great kids. I am so blessed to have the best mom ever who, even when fighting to stay strong herself, manages to keep everyone else strong. She is my hero and my example of hope, love and family. Thanks to my mom for more than words can say and to my family for making my life so grand.

You have to look through the trees but there are the survivors.
The sign that made me cry.
Finishing it together.
My cute mom followed by thousands of people.
The start of the race. The lady that took this picture had just found out in March that she has cancer. I'm telling you - it was an emotional experience that I will never forget.
My 3 miracles.
I love them even when they are silly!

2 comments:

Danielle Thompson said...

Sounds like a perfect weekend! So glad you got to celebrate life with your mom at your side :)

Katy said...

It looks like you had a wonderful Mother's day weekend.