My people 2015

My people 2015

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Finally able to exhale.

I think I have been holding my breath for the last 6 months. Honestly - holding my breath, not sleeping, not able to concentrate on other things that great. Pretty much my entire focus has been on my mom. I hope that's a normal thing in a situation like this. She had surgery on Monday. We got there just before 8 am and after being told many times that it would be another hour, she went in at 3:30. Long day! Her nerves were shot along with mine and my cute dads. And to top it off, there was another Kathie Lee getting the exact same surgery by the exact same surgeons. What are the odds. So my mom had a "Name Alert" on all of her papers, her wristband, everything to keep the two Kathie's separate. It didn't work. A nurse came out and told us that the surgery was done, that she was doing great and that the cancer hadn't spread to the lymph nodes. We all (me, dad, Dustin, and Grandma Beth) cried, hugged. It was a great moment. Then one of the surgeons came out to talk to us. He told us that he had to do a double mastectomy. That it was a little more intense than he thought, he did the reconstructive already, told us about the drain tubes, but basically said that they got the cancer and it was a successful surgery. We were a little dazed. The MRI that she had done didn't show anything in the other side, so we were worried but happy that they got it all. The story is not over....no, no, no. Then the other surgeon comes out, about 10 minutes later. She asks if we're excited that it was so simple. Uh, no. Didn't seem that simple to us. Then it all clicks. She tells us to sit down and she will start all over. My mom only had the lump taken out, they got it all that way. So no drain tubes, no recovery for weeks, none of that. She would be able to come home that night. Major relief. Not that the other Kathie Lee was worse off, they got it all for her. It was just a lot different than we thought. We got to be there when she woke up. I have a hard time putting into words what that was like. The look on her face when we told her it was gone, that they just had to take the lump, that she was cancer free. I will never forget it. She sobbed and hugged us and told us she was so sorry for worrying everyone. Then she would calm down for a minute and say "It's done, I made it." I have been so scared, worried, stressed and to think of what her mind has gone through just is unreal. Not knowing if she would be here in 6 months to see her kids, her grandkids, to be with the ones she loves so much. I can't even imagine the relief it was to her. She will have to do radiation 5 days a week for 6 weeks, but they have told us that it is a walk in the park compared to what she has been through. So she is pretty much done. She's home, doing good, trying to not move her right arm too much, and loving life. We took daisies over (those are her favorite) and she was sitting on a bar stool just as happy as can be. My kids were so glad to see her. She is so loved by all who know her and we are so grateful that she is going to be ok and be able to be with us for a long, long time. My advice to everyone is to hug your mom, appreciate her and be grateful to have been blessed to have her in your life. I have a few friends that have lost their moms to things like this and now having gone through it and knowing that I almost lost her, there won't be a day that goes by that I won't be grateful for my mom. Love you mom, you are my hero and you made it!

Me with my fabulous mom.

Mom and Dad with a few of their excited grandkids.
Getting her daisies.
The kids with their own bundle of flowers for grandma.

6 comments:

Danielle Thompson said...

So glad the surgery went well! What a battle to come through... and now you can see the end :)

Matt and Cindy Lou said...

That is such great news!! What a blessing - Kathie is such a fighter!! We love you and are so happy that she is doing so well.

Marlene Sheppard said...

I have been worried all week and wondered what was happening. I'm so glad to hear the out come is so positive. Our prayers will be with her in the following weeks.

A Princess World said...

I am so excited for you and your
family. Your mom is so amazing and I am so happy for her outcome. Our prayers will continue to be with her.

Magic Marker said...

I can't believe they had two Kathie Lee's and that they some how told you about the wrong surgery! What are the odds? Glad that she didn't have to have all the tubes and stuff and that she could come home that night:) I'm also glad the end is in sight....

lovell said...

Nickie, I am so excited for you and your family. You guys have been through alot. Your prayers have been answered. What a blessing!